THE GLOBAL LIBRARIES – BULGARIA FOUNDATION
Founded in 2013 as a public-interest oriented non-profit organization. Its board members are the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Bulgaria, the Ministry of e-government of the Republic of Bulgaria, the 13 Centuries Bulgaria National Endowment Fund, the National Association of Municipalities in Bulgaria, the Bulgarian Library and Information Association, and the National Chitalishte Union. The Foundation is the successor to the Bulgarian Libraries – Place for Access to Information and Communication for All Program which was implemented in Bulgaria between 2009 and 2013 with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The MISSION of the Global Libraries – Bulgaria Foundation
To contribute to the inclusion of the Bulgarian public in the global digital community, to raise their quality of life, and to promote civic participation.
The Foundation works to achieve the following GOALS:
- To create conditions for free and equal access to information, the Internet and electronic services
- To promote information literacy, lifelong learning, civic participation and social cohesion, and local and community development
- To promote intercultural dialogue and international connections
- To support the development of public libraries
- To support the social integration of disadvantaged groups and the provision of equal opportunities for education and healthcare by improving access to information