Global Libraries – Bulgaria Foundation, supported by the Ministry of Culture, in 2017 carried out a review of the state of public libraries in the country, which served to develop a strategy for the development of libraries and the formation of adequate policies by the executive and local authorities .
The overall review included:
- A nationally representative survey of public libraries
- National survey among municipal administrations
- Focus groups with citizens (users and non-users of library services)
- Focus groups with experts
- Comparative legal analysis of the regulatory framework in the EU regarding public libraries. Evaluation of the current legislation in Bulgaria
- Overview of library development strategies around the world and trend analysis
- Analysis of the financing models of public libraries in Bulgaria.
A distinctive feature of the study is the complex approach applied for the first time, with sociological studies supplemented with expert analyses. Also, for the first time, a sociological survey was conducted among municipal administrations and the competent opinion of experts in the field of financing and law was sought. The collected information is a very good basis for a multi-aspect analysis of the problems in the development of public libraries and allows the derivation of complex measures.
THE STATE OF PUBLIC LIBRARIES: FINAL REPORT (Bulgarian language only)
FUNDING OF PUBLIC LIBRARIES (Bulgarian language only)
FINAL REPORT – STATE OF PUBLIC LIBRARIES WITH GUIDELINES FOR DEVELOPMENT (Bulgarian language only)